Year 20, Week 15, Day One (week 1060) 05-04-20 Saturday

 Year 20, Week 15, Day One (week 1060)

(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)

05-04-20 Saturday

Blue sky, light breeze loads of sun. warm but not humid, which was nice. If it stayed like this all year long, I might think of myself in heaven, though we would need some nighttime rain to water everything....

I set up out back and decided to work on two projects at the same time. I really wanted to turn something but had no idea what. With one project, I grabbed some wood I got at work last year and cut it to size, mounted it on the lathe and started turning what is supposed to be a natural edged bowl. I shaped the outside and then started hollowing. I have a lot more to do, but the results so far have been good. I chipped up the edge at a few spots and that will require clean up, but not until I am finished with the hollowing. The outside needs cleanup but I might do that off the lathe with a sander. 

My other project was to take some two by twos and shape them into the hulls of boats. I made six this time, five of them were out of a two by two and I made them the sailing ships with the high front and rear and low middle. The other one I used a strip of molding and I made it more like a rowboat. All will end up with masts. I likely will add sails to them too. 

I sanded them with the sanding disk on the lathe to square them up and give me a clean surface to work from, then used the sanding disk to start shaping the blocks to look like a ship. I had learned in my previous attempts that there should be some straight wood below deck before it curves in. I tipped each block on an angle and sanded the bottom, rotating it toward the bow of the ship to give that curve. 

I then took them to the bandsaw and cut the center of the ship down so the ends would be higher. I removed what wood I could with the bandsaw, and then resorted to the knife. White pine, which these are made in, can be brittle along the grain and on a couple of them, I chipped off a bit of the wood and had to cut them down more to get past the damage. 

What I did to make them nicer was to use the dremel to set the deck down below the edges of the ship to give it something like a rail. They need clean up but they don’t look like shaped blocks of wood any more. I will make a bunch of boats from the molding, to give me something that looks different. They will get triangle sails while the others will get square sails. I have to put the sanding disk back on the lathe to clean up some surfaces on the ship. I likely will do what I can to finish or destroy the bowl I am making first. It tends to be bad luck to remove a piece and put it back on. Something is never quite the same.

During the day I would do some turning or bandsawing, then sit down and carve a little, then get up and do some more standing work. I got a lot done that way without wearing myself out. 

Next weekend I expect to work on the ships some more next week. I have a lot of cleanup on them to do before I paint them. I will add the mast before painting, but after the clean up. The sails will be the last of the project. 

I figure I will try to finish the bowl. I also need to use the disk sander on the lathe, which will require the bowl to come off. I might try to finish the bowl first. 

I will see what I actually do next week.

679

the bowl when I stopped turniing

the boat hulls. the far right one will have triangular sails



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year 21, Week 06, Day One (week 1100) Year 21, Week 06, Day One (week 1100)

Year 21, Week 16, Day One (week 1110) 05-08-21 Saturday

Year 21, Week 20, Day One (week 1114) 06-12-21 Saturday